Egg salad is one of those dishes I often forget about. Both Jeff and I have memories of eating it in our sandwiches as kids, neither of us loving it. But once in a while, I have a bunch of hard boiled eggs on my hands, and I remember. It turns out that I kind of love egg salad, if it’s made the right way! And Jeff is the same– I tell him I made it, and he doesn’t act very excited. Then he actually eats some of it, and is all about the egg salad.
This recipe is so delicious, and is much lighter and fresher than the egg salads we both grew up eating. I like to make it with the Mediterranean flavors of dill, Greek yogurt, and lemon. No mayo!
Egg Salad with Yogurt, Dill & Lemon
This recipe is so delicious, and is much lighter and fresher than the egg salads most of us grew up eating. I like to make it with the Mediterranean flavors of dill, Greek yogurt, and lemon. No mayo!
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: lunch
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/3 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup (loosely packed) chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice + 1/2 teaspoon zest from a (preferably organic, well washed) lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop your eggs or slice two directions with an egg slicer, then add to a medium sized bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients, and mash/ stir together until everything is evenly mixed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed– salt, lemon juice, pepper.
- If you want, you can garnish with some more chives, lemon zest, and sprigs of fresh dill.
We like to eat egg salad more like a dip, with cucumber slices and potato chips. Today was Amelia’s first day of school, and she came home all hot and sweaty and excited and tired. She was really happy to see this dish of cold egg salad waiting for her! We shared it while I heard all about her big day.One of my favorite ways to eat egg salad is to pile it into avocado halves and eat it with a spoon. It makes a really quick, super-satisfying breakfast! It’s a great thing to have on hand for an easy, protein-rich snack or fast meal. Our family is going through an egg salad phase right now– we can’t seem to get enough. Soon, we’ll probably forget about it, then be pleasantly surprised all over again when we remember and I make some.
Are you an egg salad fan? How do you like to make and eat yours?