There are not too many dishes that I make the same every year at Thanksgiving, but these sweet potatoes are so good that I don’t see any point in making them any other way. This is vegetable candy at its best, without the need for any marshmallow nonsense. These sweet potatoes are also great for guests that have some food restrictions– they are vegan and absolutely delicious. The magic in this recipe comes from roasting the tubers until they are incredibly sweet and caramelized.
What to Do
1. Roast your sweet potatoes in a 350º oven, until they are thoroughly soft. The amount of time will depend completely on the size/ thickness of your sweet potatoes, so it will take 30 at the minimum, and could be quite a bit longer.
2. Remove your sweet potatoes from the oven, and let them cool enough that you can handle them. Pull the skins off and discard– put the roasted sweet potatoes in a large bowl, or in the work bowl of your food processor, if using.
3. Add the coconut milk, orange juice, ginger and 1 teaspoon of sea salt, and blend— either with immersion blender or food processor– until completely smooth and creamy.
4. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
5. If making ahead, pour into a baking dish and cover and refrigerate, reheating in a 275º oven before serving.