Q & A Wednesday, Episode 6: Expat Stuff and Finding a Job Overseas

Hi there!  Q & A Wednesdays are back
Today I thought I would answer a bunch of questions I’ve gotten lately about the logistics of making our move, finding a job overseas, and other practical expat-related questions.

Helpful sites for finding jobs overseas…

• Find overseas teaching positions at joyjobs.com
  • Find Department of Defense School jobs here.
  • USAjobs.gov has all kinds of goverment-related job listings, both abroad and domestically.
  • Pedicatric medical job listings and just one of the agencies that connects clinics at US bases with contractors: Sterling Overseas.
  • All sorts of positions can be searched at eurojobs.com.I will of course be adding to this resource list as I gather more information. If you have a great lead on a site, please let me know so I can add it to the list.

Other posts on expat life that you might enjoy:

Thank you, as always, for watching, reading, and chatting here with me and with the rest of our community!  I would love to hear your experiences and questions about living overseas– please share!

, , ,

13 Responses to Q & A Wednesday, Episode 6: Expat Stuff and Finding a Job Overseas

1. Kaelin September 10, 2014 at 4:04 pm #

Hello! I’m so glad you addressed this topic today, as it’s something I’m really interested in. I am an occupational therapist and I’m currently researching options for moving overseas. You mentioned a couple times in the video that your husband works for a company or agency. I’m wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing more information about this, or how to search for jobs in medical clinics on bases (or is this the same as the DODEA jobs?). Thank you very much! This is all new to me and pretty confusing at this stage.

PS – I recently discovered your blog and have been reading through it over the last week. I love it! Thank you for putting out so many positive, inspirational and informative posts!

• ariana September 10, 2014 at 4:45 pm #

Hi Kaelin,
      I was waiting for my husband to get home to give me a couple more links! You will want to check out the Sterling Overseas one, for sure.

So glad you found and are enjoying my blog! Thank you for telling me so, too!

• Kaelin September 11, 2014 at 1:41 pm #

Thank you so much!

2. Connie Saunders September 10, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

I loved this post Ariana. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful life with your readers. Yes, I am an expat wanna-be and I know I have asked you many of these questions you just answered in the past. My husband and I are both educators and would love to work with DOD. My dream is to live anywhere in Europe where my family would have the opportunity to explore the rest of the continent. For various reasons, we need to stay in the States another few years, but we also know if the right opportunity came along, we would jump at the chance. We are applying with the DOD, but I do not personally know anyone who has landed one of these jobs, but we figure, it’s worth a shot. I am thrilled for you and your family that your dreams are coming true. Best of luck with the upcoming move. I am looking forward to your posts from Spain!

3. Dana September 16, 2014 at 9:29 am #

I think it’s fabulous that you will enroll her in the local Spanish school! I hope it goes well.

• ariana September 20, 2014 at 11:45 am #

Thanks, Dana!

4. Hausfrau September 22, 2014 at 10:35 am #

Enjoyed the video! Ariana, feel free to send anyone my way with specific DoDDS questions. With 11+ years in the system, and now with lots of Japan-DoDDS friends who have moved to various locations around the world, we can answer questions about hiring, transferring, and (somewhat) about specific locations in both Europe and Asia. I’d be glad to help.

• ariana October 9, 2014 at 10:45 am #

Thank you for this generous offer to help others out, Hausfrau!!

5. Victoria September 13, 2016 at 9:55 am #

Found a job through inploi – Would highly recommend. There’s also great job application advice on their site: http://www.inploi.me (This is the link to their app on the Apple App Store: apple.co/2a2LXDC) :) Good luck job hunting everyone!

1. Finding the Best Overseas Jobs | Create Resumes | Find Jobs | FastJobz.Com - September 28, 2014

[…] industrial expansion and high levels of business activities. Alongside these technical developments overseas job market grew in terms of demand as well as supply. Over the past 10 years there has been a rapid […]