Q & A Wednesday, Episode 3: Let’s Talk About Foraging!

Hi Everyone!  This week, let’s talk about foraging.  This is a relatively new passion for me and my family, but my interest in finding edible and medicinal plants started in childhood.  In this video I talk about:

• How I got started with foraging, and how you can, too!
  • My recommended resources.
  • How to avoid poisoning yourself and your family. (Important!)
  • Our favorite wild edibles, and how we like to prepare them

Here’s the video.

Do you forage in your area?  What do you most often pick?  If you don’t, what is the main thing that keeps you from doing so?

Here are the books I mentioned in the video:

Here are some of my favorite foraging posts:

Here are some of my favorite recipes for using foraged finds:

I’d love to hear if there are certain plants you’d like to see more recipes for, or if there is a way I can help you more with foraging.  I’m all ears!

, , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Q & A Wednesday, Episode 3: Let’s Talk About Foraging!

1. Melinda June 11, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

Wonderful video, thank you so much! Very informative. I can’t wait to get started (in North Texas).

• ariana June 12, 2014 at 8:11 am #

That’s great, Melinda! Can’t wait to hear what you find in your area!

2. Susan Gaines June 11, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

Loved watching the video, Ariana. I chuckled at the idea of foraging for something edible here in southern CA; it would have to grow up through the cracks in the sidewalk. Actually, I’ll bet there are places one could forage. The tastiest most flavorful mushroom I ever ate was picked from my lawn in Sacramento, CA. My mom used to forage for mushrooms in the fields and knew what was safe & what was not. She’s gone now but I’ve always envied her ability to feel secure in her foraging. You’re doing a good job of inspiring others to check it out and educate themselves.

• ariana June 12, 2014 at 8:12 am #

It makes me happy to hear that your mom foraged mushrooms. I think it’s a dying art, and one I hope will be revived. So many cool foods out there, just being ignored. In Italy, I’ve read, you can bring your haul of mushrooms to the local farmacy and they will identify the edibles for you. Doesn’t that sound incredible?

3. Susan Gaines June 11, 2014 at 9:59 pm #

P.S. I can see you being a tour guide through various places you’ve visited, and Amelia leading foraging walks through the English countryside to tourists.

• ariana June 12, 2014 at 8:13 am #

Wouldn’t that be a wonderful family business!!

4. Hilda June 14, 2014 at 5:25 am #

I thoroughly agree with your approach to foraging – the benefits and the need for caution. Thanks for the tips on resources.

• ariana June 16, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

You are very welcome, Hilda!

5. Laurel June 14, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

Hi Ariana – Great video, as usual. I’ve been foraging since the mid 1970’s when Euell Gibbons made it fashionable. He published several books back then and I’ve got two or three of them. He was my first inspiration. This year we’ve tried Japanese Knotweed for the first time, which is in the rhubarb family and hence sour, and redbud blossoms which are also sour, but would probably make a pretty tincture. Also tried poke for the first time. We grow our own elderberries here, but there are tons and tons of wild ones around and they are blooming right now. We’ve been making elderberry cordial for several years and it really does help with colds and flu. When I feel a cold coming on I take a few spoonfuls of elderberry cordial every few hours and sometimes the cold never develops, yay! The tricky part is getting to the ripe berries before the birds do. Laurel in East TN

• ariana June 16, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Hi Laurel! How nice to hear about all of the wild foods you are able to use in your area. I hadn’t heard of Euell Gibbons– will go look him up. I think it’s great to start young– you have your whole life to notice plants and learn about them, and the amount of information you can collect is pretty amazing.

1. Q & A Wednesday, Episode 5: Why We're Expats, and How Long We'll Keep Up Our "Nomadic Lifestyle" | And Here We AreAnd Here We Are - June 25, 2014

[…] Let’s Talk About Foraging […]

2. Weekend foraging in the woods | A hobbit in the kitchen - July 20, 2014

[…]                                                                   Let’s Talk About Foraging  by Ariana at And Here We Are.                                               […]

3. Finding Edible Weeds on a Plant Literacy Tour - Our Heritage of Health - November 4, 2014

[…] Q&A Wednesday: Let’s Talk About Foraging! by And Here We Are […]