Sometimes we want protein for breakfast, but need a break from all of the savory preparations and the monotony of scrambled eggs. The Almond Dutch Baby is just right. I invented this little breakfast dish when I had a baby, and wanted something comforting but sufficiently hearty in the morning, with little effort. This recipe is very forgiving, and can take on many variations, based on what you have on hand. The Almond Dutch Baby will become one of those things that you don’t need a recipe for after making it a few times, as you will soon learn that you can change it up in a hundred different ways without fear of failure.
The Almond Dutch Baby
This recipe serves 1, but it’s easy to double or triple!
What You’ll Need:
- 1t butter or coconut oil
- 3 pastured eggs
- 2 T cream, plain yogurt, or coconut milk
- 2 T almond flour
- 2 T unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 t sweetener, such as honey or maple syrup
- a dash of cinnamon
- 1/4 t almond or vanilla extract
- a tiny pinch of sea salt
- as for equipment, you will want a small oven-proof skillet. These ones would work nicely.
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In a small oven-proof skillet over low heat, melt the butter or coconut oil.
- Combine the eggs and all of the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, and whisk together until combined.
- When your butter/ oil is bubbling a bit in the pan, pour in the batter.
- Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, to cook the bottom portion of the breakfast cake.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven, and bake until the top is golden and puffed up. Don’t expect it to puff as dramatically as a traditional Dutch Baby, because the almond flour and high volume of eggs will make it more dense. The main thing to look for is the golden top.
- Release the Dutch baby onto a plate (using a spatula) and serve with butter and jam or apple sauce.
Note: I have made larger batches of this, and simply cooked it in a buttered pie pan in the oven, and sliced it into wedges. That worked out beautifully, too.
I hope that this recipe will bring a little extra comfort and happiness to your mornings, and sustaining power to keep you going strong as you go about your day.
Did you enjoy this post? Pin it for later!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.