The Almond Dutch Baby (Grain-Free)– A Comforting, Fortifying Breakfast

Sometimes we want protein for breakfast, but need a break from all of the savory preparations and the monotony of scrambled eggs. The Almond Dutch Baby is just right. I invented this little breakfast dish when I had a baby, and wanted something comforting but sufficiently hearty in the morning, with little effort. This recipe is very forgiving, and can take on many variations, based on what you have on hand. The Almond Dutch Baby will become one of those things that you don’t need a recipe for after making it a few times, as you will soon learn that you can change it up in a hundred different ways without fear of failure.

Almond Dutch Baby

The Almond Dutch Baby

This recipe serves 1, but it’s easy to double or triple!

What You’ll Need:

What to Do:

1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
  2. In a small oven-proof skillet over low heat, melt the butter or coconut oil.
  3. Combine the eggs and all of the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, and whisk together until combined.
  4. When your butter/ oil is bubbling a bit in the pan, pour in the batter.
  5. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, to cook the bottom portion of the breakfast cake.
  6. Transfer the skillet to the oven, and bake until the top is golden and puffed up.  Don’t expect it to puff as dramatically as a traditional Dutch Baby, because the almond flour and high volume of eggs will make it more dense.  The main thing to look for is the golden top.
  7. Release the Dutch baby onto a plate (using a spatula) and serve with butter and jam or apple sauce.

Note: I have made larger batches of this, and simply cooked it in a buttered pie pan in the oven, and sliced it into wedges. That worked out beautifully, too.

Almond Dutch Baby 1
Enjoy!

I hope that this recipe will bring a little extra comfort and happiness to your mornings, and sustaining power to keep you going strong as you go about your day.

Did you enjoy this post? Pin it for later!
The Almond Dutch Baby

, , , ,

19 Responses to The Almond Dutch Baby (Grain-Free)– A Comforting, Fortifying Breakfast

1. Ann Sato January 27, 2014 at 2:40 pm #

I can’t wait to try this. It is so simple and looks so delicious. I bet you could even throw in some sliced breakfast sausage or back and have a sweet and savory breakfast (my favorite kind). Thanks for sharing.

• ariana January 28, 2014 at 9:07 am #

Ooh, I’ve never thought to make it that way before, Ann! Sounds good!

2. fairytalehausfrau January 27, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

This would make a nice addition to our weekend breakfast repertoire (I’ll be sure to pin it!). I’ll have to leave the shredded coconut out for my son, though–he’s unfortunately not a fan!

• ariana January 28, 2014 at 9:06 am #

I’m sure it will be good even without the coconut. I hope you and your family like it!

3. Megan January 28, 2014 at 3:16 am #

Could I substitute another flour? Like coconut or Quinoa? I am allergic to nuts, and have recently gone gluten free.
    Thanks!
    ~Meg

• ariana January 28, 2014 at 9:06 am #

Megan, my husband often makes his with coconut flour. Since this recipe is so forgiving, you should definitely try it. I would start with 1 T coconut flour at first, since it is more dense than almond flour. Let me know how you like it!

4. Cave Food Kitchen (@sabineweijers) January 28, 2014 at 10:13 am #

Why the name Dutch baby?

• ariana January 30, 2014 at 8:52 am #

I had to look that one up! It’s a traditional German pancake– but I guess instead of saying “Deutsch” people started saying Dutch. And I don’t know what the deal with the baby part is!

• Tam February 2, 2014 at 3:42 pm #

Ariana, I have made this for the last two days! This morning, I doubled up the recipe and added blueberries & blackberries. It was amazing! Thanks for posting!

• ariana February 2, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

Awesome, Tam– I am so glad to hear you loved it! We will definitely have to try adding berries to ours!

5. Jenny C. February 1, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

I’d like to make this for my whole family… would I double, triple, or quadruple the recipe for 4 people? And could I make it all in one big, cast iron skillet?

• ariana February 2, 2014 at 11:33 am #

Hi Jenny,
      I think I’d triple it for four, as not all members may have the appetite for 3 eggs each. And yes, you can just cook it exactly the same way (but longer) in a larger cast iron skillet.

6. Bee Kay February 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

Pardon my ignorance, I’m new to cooking (and old enough to know)… what’s an oven-proof skillet?

• Bee Kay February 5, 2014 at 10:48 pm #

I think I see what it is. I’m going to try this recipe, it sounds delish!

• Ariana Mullins February 7, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

Oops, sorry I didn’t respond in time! You probably figured it out– a skillet with no plastic/ rubber parts that would burn at high temps.

7. Melissa Aaron February 6, 2014 at 5:36 pm #

I made one this morning (a little more than doubled) for me and my kids and served it with baked apples. We loved it. I added a bit of almond extract to the batter, as well, and used gf flour instead of almond flour because I don’t have any almond flour on hand this morning. Really lovely and easy to make with kids. I think this’ll become a go-to recipe. Thank you!!

• ariana February 7, 2014 at 6:54 pm #

Oh, I am so glad it was a hit with your family!

8. Shawna February 17, 2014 at 4:10 pm #

Ooo this look interesting and I love Dutch Babies, but since we gave up flour I had not thought of trying it with almond flour. I’m anxious to try this. When I make a Dutch Baby I slice up apples and saute them in butter and a little maple syrup, then add the egg mixture on top and bake. The sauteed apple is soooo delish and when it bakes it kinda caramelizes on the bottom. Makes for a wonderful sweet pancake.

1. Link Love (2014-02-25) | Becky's Kaleidoscope - February 25, 2014