Time to Get Dirty!

That’s right, folks!  Time for planting.  We got the green light from our letting agent to put in some raised beds, and even for keeping chickens (we’ll work on that later!)  I haven’t tended a garden since we left Portland, almost two years ago! Being able to plant and dig in the dirt and grow food really gives me a sense of being at home, and I am so excited.  Our raised bed kits arrived this week, and just in time, too.  We started some little plants a few weeks ago, and they are ready to move out of our cozy conservatory, to sleep in their own beds.  The weather is nice today, and we’re all putting on our grubby clothes and wellies.

Do you have any planting plans for the weekend?

Happy Weekend!

, ,

10 Responses to Time to Get Dirty!

1. tech.samaritan March 10, 2012 at 11:57 am #

I started my late winter pruning around here this week, and will be heading over to the orchard we maintain today to work on the apples, peaches, and pears over there. The grow lights have come up from the cellar, and we are getting ready for bedding seeds. Your spring is way ahead of ours!

2. Ariana March 10, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

I guess it is! Also, our conservatory is such an awesome greenhouse– it gets hot in there, as long as the sun is shining for a few hours. We just “bedded” all of the early spring stuff, and on Monday I will start all the heat-loving plants, they might spend most of the growing season indoors, and move out in the summer. Fun!

3. Grandma Seelye March 11, 2012 at 2:30 am #

Wow! If all those really produce you’ll have to freeze some! Nice!

• Ariana March 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

Well, that is definitely the hope!

4. Great Aunt Gretchen March 11, 2012 at 4:46 am #

We planted a new peach & nectarine tree a few weeks ago and they are covered on blossoms! I quickly planted sweet peas this morning using my very own compost!

• Ariana March 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

That is pretty exciting! Nectarines are one of my very favorite fruits, but one that really need to be off of someone local’s tree, since the ones at the store can be so mealy. I also planted sweet peas to climb the wall of our patio– I love those flowers!

5. Amanda March 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Our grow lights are all set up and seed starter is made! As soon as we get back from our trip we can get started!

• Ariana March 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Woohoo! Where do you set up your grow lights? In your basement?

6. greatdana March 11, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Carrots, broccoli, cilantro, peas, radish… all the things I could put right in the ground are in!

• Ariana March 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Dana, it sounds like we have matching gardens right now!