Found it!

It has been a really long last few months, wandering all over the place, trying to figure out what was going on, where we should live, etc.  Then, once we got here, we were disappointed to realize that our hotel/temporary stay time was going to be much, much longer than the two weeks we originally expected.  But I am happy to report that it has been worth it.  I’m so glad that a couple places we thought we were going to rent didn’t work out, that we had time to find this home I am about to show you.  Our letting agent showed it to us a week ago– she had seen it for the first time the day before, and it was not technically on the market yet.  No one else even got the chance to see it!  We couldn’t believe that it had everything on our list, and more.  And, amazingly, was well within our budget!!

Here it is.  Amelia’s primary school is actually on this street, a few blocks down.  It is right outside the city center on a quiet street, but an easy walk to downtown.

Notice the original tile!

This is the living room.  It has a really big bay window, and this very cool, functional fireplace. (I will need to figure out what I can do with that red wallpapered wall, though!)

So many cool architectural details…

One of my favorite rooms is the dining room, it has so much light and is very spacious.  Look at those floors!  Another cool looking fireplace, although this one is just a decoration now.

The kitchen– compact and practical, but with plenty of cupboard space. I haven’t had a gas stove in almost five years– really excited about that!  Terracotta tiles are one of my favorite types of kitchen flooring.

A long, sprawling backyard, with trees, flowers, grass, and a patio. Perfect.

Can we look at the floors again?

And my favorite:  the conservatory!  This room is so exciting to me– not just all the sunlight, but the glass, tile floors, the peaked ceiling, and the way it’s set right off of the kitchen so we can eat in there as well.

There is also a mud/ cloak room off of the kitchen, and a little bathroom back there.  SO many windows and cozy spaces.  Such a cool house– I honestly didn’t think that we would find or afford something so nice.  It will be another three weeks before we can move in, but just knowing it’s there helps while we’re still in limbo.  This will be our last move, finally.  Thank you so much for celebrating we me– it has been a long road!

, , ,

19 Responses to Found it!

1. tech.samaritan September 1, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

Man, I just love those floors, and as I said before, that garden is just so dang great!

I hope you are there long enough for us to get there for a visit! Our 20th anniversary is really not that far off!

2. ShackelMom September 1, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

I just love it! The floors! and the various tiles! I like the good washer in the kitchen too, and the garden looks like so much fun! I think you will make that wallpaper dance and sing, one way or another! :-) The outside makes me thing of the row houses that Diggory and Jill lived in in the Magician’s Nephew. Love the blue door!

3. Karen Kellerford September 2, 2011 at 4:55 am #

It’s perfect! I can’t wait to see how you will decorate it!

4. Dennis Family September 2, 2011 at 6:10 am #

I love it, and think the wall paper is great! I know that is just me, but it could be so ugly, right? So pleased for you to have the “perfect” little flat!

5. Grandma Seelye September 2, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

So happy for you!! Nice compact kitchen with a washing machine right there. Is there a drier there also? Lovely back garden(they don’t call it a yard as I recall).

6. Ariana September 2, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

Grandma– no drier! People here seem to hang everything, although with all this rain, I think they tend to have laundry draped all over the house on drying rack– not my picture of domestic bliss! We’re trying to figure this one out, still. Maybe clotheslines in the cloak room off of the kitchen, since it should be warmer in there most days.

Daniel– we’d like to stay here for as long as possible. Our lease is only for a year, but we are hoping to just keep renewing over and over again. You should definitely come.

7. Erin September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

Looks great!! So happy for you guys!

8. Hausfrau September 6, 2011 at 9:41 am #

What a fantastic house! I’m impressed. By the way, I’m here via the Top 25. I live (also somewhat unconventionally) in western Germany and am a huge Anglophile, so I know I’m going to enjoy your blog!

9. Ariana September 6, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

Hi Hausfrau, thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself! I will look forward to seeing what you’re up to, as well. You know, we *almost* went to Japan! Loving England, though…

10. Sara & Phil September 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

Oooh, beautiful and so much character. Have fun making it your own.

11. Sara & Phil September 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

Oooh, beautiful and so much character. Have fun making it your own.

12. Sara & Phil September 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

Oooh, beautiful and so much character. Have fun making it your own.

13. Kym Hamer September 18, 2011 at 8:48 am #

Very nice! Isn’t it funny how things work out? I started looking for a rental in North London and in a week had landed a fab 2 BR garden flat in a gorgeous area right on my monthly budget.

Sometimes the universe really does provide.

14. Andrew October 2, 2011 at 11:46 am #

That is a really cool looking place. Very English to my mind. All of the tile and wood floors are so cool, I agree. I hope the heat works well enough to keep you guys cozy and warm this winter.

15. Susan Gaines January 1, 2013 at 7:55 am #

Oh, my dear, I love the red flowered wall paper. Did you cover it up or did you work with it? It’s really perfect with the wide crown molding. The entire home is wonderful.

16. Susan Gaines January 1, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Your home is darling! I so hope you grew to love the wallpaper in the living room. I love it, especially with the magnificent crown molding.

17. Jessikita September 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

What an amazing find! Very happy for you!

18. Shaye Elliott September 5, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

It’s beautiful!

1. Why Not Just Come In for a Moment? | And Here We AreAnd Here We Are - December 24, 2013

[…] was my favorite room when we first saw our house. I love the wood floors and that there are french doors opening onto the conservatory, letting in […]