The Nomads are Getting Restless!

So, our interesting life is not always super amazing and exciting.  I don’t like to complain, and I know I have a great life, and I am deeply thankful for all of the good things that have come our way.  So I feel a little weird telling you that I’m in a funk.  We live in Bend right now.  Bend is a great place, but I’m not sure why we’re here.  We can’t get jobs, since we will be leaving soon.  We don’t know exactly when we’re leaving, though.  We’re in financial lockdown until we have a paycheck, which makes things a little trickier.  The other big thing is that our crate of goods got stuck in inspections in Los Angeles, which ended up costing us one thousand dollars, and we also just decided to turn the shipment around and send it over to England, to save us money and hassle.  That also means that we will continue to sleep on the floor, share one armchair, and live in a virtually empty house.  It means that shopping is not much fun (lockdown aside,) since we can’t take much with us– we can send a few new items to ourselves in the mail, but not a whole lot.  So that’s kind of a bummer.

So, back to being in Bend…  Originally, we thought we would be settling here for a while, and that meant getting involved, gradually meeting people, and being close enough to visit other family members in the Northwest.  Now, it just seems kind of ridiculous to be out here all by ourselves!  We know we won’t be back in the States again for at least a year after we leave this summer, and it seems much more reasonable to be staying somewhere closer to friends and family.  I mean, being alone in a foreign country I get, but here?!  In the meantime, not to beat the same old drum, but my studies have completely taken over all of my time, and there’s not a whole lot else going on for me.  I actually feel kind of bored and listless.  Ordinarily, I would be spending all of my free time decorating and arranging our new living space.  I would definitely be pouring my time and energy into the garden.  Here, we spend a whole lot of time sweeping the floors (yet somehow they’re never quite clean) and trying to figure out what’s next.  The weather has been unusually cold and rainy.  On the days that we do get sun, it is glorious. My own very solid goal in the next month is to get a serious suntan, in preparation for some pale times in England.

I know I’m kind of rambling around a bit, but it helps to put into words the unease I am feeling.  Our life is good, we have had great experiences, there is more adventure and fun ahead… But for now I feel very disoriented, wondering what this stage of empty house and isolation is for.  I’d like to skip ahead, even though it’s really not my style– I don’t know what will happen tomorrow, and want to make the most of today.  Last night we took a really nice picnic at a park along the river, and we all felt really thankful to be able to enjoy the beauty and some really nice food, and each others’ company.  I suppose that’s the best we can all do sometimes…

, , , , ,

8 Responses to The Nomads are Getting Restless!

1. Anonymous May 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Would beating your dad in Lexulous bring a shade of normality?

2. Grandma Seelye May 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

Oh dear! Sorry about the thousand dollars! And the sort of empty house.It does sound like you are living in sort of a parentheses.At least you have your school work.Maybe Jeff should take a class too! Love you.

3. Dennis Family May 20, 2011 at 10:19 pm #

Maybe you should just ditch the house and spend time living with family and friends some more. A good last hurrah for Summer and fun times we won’t soon forget. We really want you back and it in sunny sunny sunny here right now.

4. Karen Kellerford May 21, 2011 at 1:18 am #

Hmmm. What you need is some company. Interesting visitors from all over the world. Couch surfing.com? (Who cares if you don’t have a couch!) Or maybe some PCT through hikers. They come from all over the world and have their own beds with them and are truly grateful for a warm, dry place to be. Hot running water and a flush toilet are luxury items! I do not know where you are in relation to the trail, but it might be worth finding out!

5. A lemon and a spoon May 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

Take care be gentle on yourself, gosh you have been through a tremendous amount of upheaval in the last while. It sounds brash but it your life is panning out just as it should and you are exactly where you meant to be.

All the best

6. Ariana May 22, 2011 at 12:54 am #

Thank you everyone– it just feels good to get it off my chest. We’re considering RV-borrowing possibilities for the month of July…

7. A lemon and a spoon June 1, 2011 at 5:41 pm #